I got this GREAT POST in my INBOX today from ALLUME.
The author, Jill Monaco made such a great point when she said that instead of looking back, we need to be looking forward, at what God is up to. I totally agree!
Here are the great questions she proposed and I think they are definitely worth considering:
- What great new character trait do you see developing in your child?
- Is there a new woman you’ve met that God would ask you to love on?
- What new skill can you work on?
- Is there a totally new idea you should write about?
- What new passion are you seeing birthed in your husband?
- What dreams are you waiting on and what can you do to make a step toward them?
- What new recipe can you try?
- Is there a new place can you explore? (with your kids or alone)
- What new verse or promise does God want you to hold on to this year?
- Is there a new ministry you should support?
Here are my answers to these thought-provoking questions:
1. What great new character trait do you see developing in your child? In my 13 year old, I see the great desire to share Jesus with others. He mentions this to me occasionally, that he can't wait for God to use him to witness to someone specifically. I reminded him that all the times he has asked kids if they are Christians, writing a blog about the Bible, and the example he sets for his peers, is witness enough at this point. God is using him in his circle of influence and it's important!
In my 19 year old, I see maturity in the ways of life and always, in the things of God. He is always trying to consider God's will for his life - in ministry, work, relationships, etc. He is fearless when it comes to ministering to the down and out, and totally puts his faith in the Lord for protection. Needless to say, this grows "mom's" faith, as well.
I'm so very proud of the character of both of my boys. I give God all the glory:)
2. Is there a new woman you’ve met that God would ask you to love on? I have several new women in my life this year, thanks to joining a new homeschool group. I have truly been blessed by this every-Friday-group! Such "real" ladies, who have no pretense about who they are. Friendships can be surface or they can be deep; it all depends on the realness of the individuals involved. I feel like I can be "real" with these ladies and that, to me, is reason to love!
3. What new skill can I work on? Oh boy - this might be a little harder to answer. I guess I'm tempted to try the guitar this year. Only a little bit tempted! It looks hard, but I'm curious as to whether I could actually do it or not. I'm the only one in the family that doesn't play, so I think that right there is reason enough, don't you?
4. Something totally new to write about? Maybe I should ask my "readers" what they would like to read about. Sometimes it feels like I write about the same old things! Any suggestions?
5. What new passion are you seeing birthed in your husband? David is completely teaching himself to play the guitar from scratch! He's even dabbled a bit in writing a few songs, which I think is great! Hopefully, I can join this passion of his and we can "make beautiful music together"!
6. What dreams am I waiting on? For myself, I am waiting on the Lord to use my writing in a bigger way. I guess I'm kind of like Collin, in the way that I know I'm reaching a "few", but in my dreams, I'm reaching "many"! But, I'm willing to wait on the Lord and his timing. The worst thing you can do besides being fearful of moving forward, is to move forward - ahead of God's plan!
7. What new recipe can I try? Hmmmm. I guess if I had to pick something that I've never made, and always purposely kept my distance - it would have to be GUMBO. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (I don't eat seafood) is something I wish I could make and maybe this will be the year I try it!
8. Is there a new place can you explore? (with your kids or alone) I can't think of a new place I would like to explore, but I can think of a way I would like to challenge myself in the future and that is exploring more, while traveling with David on business trips. I'm not one to go out in the bigger cities and explore, while he's in meetings. I have a fear of getting lost and completely not knowing how to get back to the hotel. But, I would like to get beyond this fear and take advantage of traveling more and seeing new things in new cities.
9. What new verse or promise does God want you to hold on to this year? God has purposefully brought the prayer of Jabez back into my life this year and I'm embracing it fully! I love the simplicity of this prayer, the confidence of Jabez, and the fact that God listened to his prayer and granted it. I am believing in God to do the same for me and my family!
10. Is there a new ministry you should support? This was my exact prayer this morning! I'm asking the Lord to unite David and I, in supporting someone in need. We had a few opportunities to help individuals this past year and there is just such a wonderful feeling about actually giving to someone specific, instead of dropping a check in a plate and never knowing how it's being used. To see a real need being met is what spurs us on to keep giving in the way that God asks us to in his word.
So there are my answers to looking forward in 2013! New growth, new ministries, new dreams, new goals, new friends, new promises.
I would love for you to pick ONE of these questions and share your answer with me in the comments! PLEASE!
I look forward to knowing a little piece of your heart for this next year.